Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Perfect Mother

I read this blog post http://71toes.blogspot.com/2010/10/myth-of-perfect-mother.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+71toesrss+%2871+toes+RSS%29
today while laying in bed feeling tired and frustrated that I am yet to recover from surgery. I have missed being the everyday mother. I feel as though I am learning how not to expect perfection from myself. I have felt greater peace as I have learned on a deeper level that no, I can't make everyone happy all of the time, including myself.
I have come up with a quick little mantra to help when I notice I have become frustrated with my lack of perfection. It is amazing how understanding my purpose can give me such peace of mind.

I am not perfect. That is not my purpose here.
I will trip and fall then learn and rely.
My savior is the only way
No matter what else I might try.

3 comments:

Ora said...

I had no idea you had surgery! Hope you are recovering fast. I have caved to the fact that I'm not perfect and am trying desperately to embrase it instead of let it make me frustrated. thanks for the post - needed it today.

k d L said...

love the mantra! funny how we expect perfection from our imperfect selves. so very true that we need the Savior in all aspects of life. love ya. hope you're feeling better!

April Perry said...

Love to you, Susan! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. You're doing great.