Sunday, April 11, 2010

I have been wanting to write about my running experience but I was hoping to wait until I had good news. Two weeks ago today I was having a great run. The kind where I achieved total flow. Meaning I felt at peace with the world and I felt as though this is what I am meant to do at this time in my life. I came to the most amazing realization- if I have to walk several miles I am going to finish this marathon. It helped to relieve stress I had been feeling wondering if
this is really something I could do. Then with about 1 mile left in my 7 mile run I felt sharp pain threw my knew as I heard a loud cracking sound. It caused me to hop step. I was able to regain myself and finish my run. My knee really didn't bother me to much until the next day when I could only run a mile before I felt the pain again. I was frustrated by this point. How was I going to do my first 16 miler?

We were going to be staying in Huntington and I love the nice flat beautiful area. I ended up spending three hours on the elliptical in the gym. When I was done I felt pretty good. My knee didn't hurt to bad. Monday I saw the chiro and he said I should be ok. So that night I was able to do a 5 mile run on the treadmill. Then Wednesday again about two miles in sharp pain. Ryan had to come get me. More chiro. biked Thursday.

When I started my long run sat I felt so good. I have missed running outside. Then two miles in the knee pain is back. After more chiro and more bike riding I am starting to wonder if I am
going to able to do this? Tuesday night I had watched on YouTube videos of people doing my marathon. So inspiring. I could really visualize myself there running and finishing this marathon. Mentally I had finally really got there. Really believing I have got this. Now it is my body that is really testing me.

I am hoping for a Cinderella story here.
Happy ever after. But if I am never able to do this I am so grateful for the experience. I have learned so much about myself and about life while training. I no longer stress about what I can't change. In the past I would be so upset and stressed about my knee problems. But I
feel strength from on high. I recognize that all I can do is all I can do and that is enough. I have also learned that pushing my self to do hard things is more rewarding then imagined. I have run 14 miles. I never thought I would be able to do that but I did and I loved it.

***Update
Yesterday I tried one more time. The whole week I laid off running. I biked and did more elliptical trying to keep up endurance. I got a brace for the run on Saturday. I have been icing it 2-3 times a day. I was even using a roller to try to work the muscles. I had decided that if I can't run I can't Saturday I can't do the marathon. I was doing ok until about 3 miles. I got farther then last week but just not far enough. Then I had another great thought. (I think the holy ghost speaks to me when I exercise) Just because I am unable to do this marathon does not mean I will never be able to finish one. I am already look for a new one. I have decided to take a month or two to try and heel my knee. I will keep biking and elliptical and maybe swimming. I will start doing strengthen exercises so that I hopefully won't ever have this problem again. And then I will start to train all over again. I hope that what I have gained from training will quickly come back to me and that I don't have to start from scratch. I am looking into the St George marathon.

2 comments:

Candy said...

I am sorry to hear about your knee. I know how frustrating that can be. What an awesome goal you set and I know you will work through it. There was nothing like when I finished my half marathon and how good I felt. Chelsea ran a marathon in October and had the same problem w/ her knee while training - she managed to make it through and then took some time off and now is training again. You will do it I know it!

Julie Winder said...

Susan, we were so disappointed that we couldn't hang out with Chambers and you guys:( Another day:) Reading your post brought back memories. I am sorry. It is tough when your mind says one thing and you are so strong mentally, and endurance is up...but you have an injury. I admire you for looking at your AMAZING accomplishments thus far. Yes running 14 miles is sooooo incredible. Don't underestimate it. You have to decide what it is worth at this point. I know if you decide to do it. Yes, you will finish. I hobbled through Boston marathon literally feeling like I was going to crawl in knee pain.I walked a lot of the last miles. I have also made choices to not run because there is another DAY and I want to run without the pain and the negative thoughts. I want to finish feeling good. Plus my knees are way to important to me to injury permanently. SO, if you choose to wait. Your day to run is just right around the corner, give your knee the time to heal. I hope this all made sense. I admire you either way! OH and I would love to see you run st. george. Hey we might even get Ricki to do it too? Right Ricki. Ricki? What do you think?