Sunday, July 23, 2006

My run.

I have been so excited to be able to go running. I walked on Friday and I felt winded quickly. I know it just takes time and I am excited that the process has began. Yesterday and decided that I would run for 10 minutes. I started with a brisk walk, then started on my little run. The first few steps I felt like I had lead in my feet. Even my shorts felt heavy. I decided to persists remembering that the first little bit is always hard. It did get easier and I ran a full mile. Not bad for taking so much time off.

I have this little trick I do to get through a hard run. I set up markers in my mind that I will run to, like a light post or a street sign. I do this thinking, "Ok, I will run just to that point, I can do that. Then I will stop." Usually, I can keep running beyond that point but I give myself the option of stopping if I feel like I need to. See, I have give up points when I run. Points where I feel like I can't run any more. But usually these give up points do not coincide with my markers so I am able to run farther then I originally thought I could.

Like yesterday, for example, I first said I would run for ten minutes but then when I got started I felt like there was no way I would be able to do that so I then said two songs. I can run for two songs. When those two songs were up I felt I could run still so I then said to myself, one more song. After that I was so close to ten minutes that I decided I would go the full ten minutes. Then I saw the end of the road and I figured I could go that far. Then at that point I was done and I walked the rest of the way home. I felt so accomplished and proud of myself. I think that is why running is addictive.

Anyway, as I thought about this I realized that life is much the same way. When we think of the overall goal sometimes we feel overwhelmed and wonder how we are going to make it, whether it be 5 small children or simply a big project like moving. But when you break it down in to small chunks it then becomes easy and manageable. You are then willing to try something you once thought incomprehensible.

On cute note.

Sarah wanted to help burp Joshua yesterday. While I was holding him he burped really good for her and then spit up all over the floor. She got really excited and said, "I got the special prize." What a crack up she is.

1 comment:

Ryan Chapman said...

I liked the way you were able to take something common, like running, and find a life lesson that has significance to my daily life. It is helpful for me with my work to now look at the challenges I face and say "I can get to that milestone".
Thanks!