Sunday, April 26, 2009

I am Wonder Women!


When I first met Ryan's mom I thought, "She is wonder woman" I remember feeling like there was no way I would ever measure up to this lady. Over the last few years it has become a joke between Ryan and I. Whenever I accomplish or do something I thought was difficult either Ryan or I will refer to me as wonder woman. Today was one of those days. Ryan was sick in bed with the flu so that meant I got to take all 6 children to church by myself. Hmmm? I wondered at the plausibility of this task but went forward with it any way as I felt like it was the right thing to do and would be the best example to my children (I never expected to get anything from the service today)

So to my shock and amazement my children were angels. Only one little tiff that lasted about 30 seconds. But more then that I got to really listen and absorb what was said. Then the baby slept all through church so I got to really listen to the full three hours. I learned a lot today and felt very full as I got the kids in the car to come home. Ryan greeted me with a "you are wonder woman"

As I did dishes tonight after the house was filled with sleeping children I thought about what this term means to me and why sometimes I feel like I can conquer the world and other times I feel deflated and very unable to do anything well. What I concluded is that we all have an inner Wonder Woman in us. Does that mean perfection is always evident in our eyes? Unfortunately not. What it does mean is that we are able to accomplish so much more then we realize. And it is in those moments of great accomplishment we fell on top of the world. It seems to me that in those moments that is who we truly are. A Goddess in the making. Creating and organizing matter that has been placed before us. We get distracted at times like a few weeks ago I was having a rough moment and Ryan said something about Wonder Woman and I started to cry and said "I am not wonder women." He loving reminded me of all that I had going on and that simply because I was having a rough moment did not take away from my inner wonderfulness.

As women it seems so easy to notice other women's greatness but fail to see our own simply because we see our faults so plainly before us. It is not in spite of our faults that we are wonderful it is because of them. It is through our hardships we learn to overcome, to get up when kicked down again and again, to press onward when all we really want to do is go back to bed. God gave us our strengths and our weaknesses so that we might learn to bring them together that we may rely on Him in all things.

What does it truly mean to be a wonder woman? Accomplishing something you previously thought difficult, challenging, or even impossible. Recognizing you are not perfect yet you keep striving for it. Desiring greatness and never settling (for very long) anything but the best you can possibly give and do.

Embrace the inner Wonder Woman in you.

5 comments:

Candy said...

I love your post! I often think of my sister as "wonder woman" and yet I know I can be just as you have discovered. As I watch my little grandson today I am in awe of the wonderful mothers our children are (including you!!!) The world needs for all the "wonder women" to awaken and rise to their full potential! Love ya:)

Julie Winder said...

Thanks for the inspring post!

Michelle S. said...

I miss you! You are such an inspiring person, and I am grateful for your example and friendship. Your love for your family and the Lord is what makes you a wonder woman to me.

Laura said...

This post inspired me to do some hard things this weekend. I'll try to write about it. I love you and appreciate what you said. Is it okay if I let a friend share your insights with a seminary class?

Laura

Ricki said...

See! These kind of thoughts are why you were made young womens president! Because not only can you inspire all of us, you do a good job with the ones that are shaping their lives now! Thanks! I think Wonder Woman is my new hero! And you, of course! ;)