Tuesday, November 06, 2007

My heros!

Some relatives of a friend of ours lost their home to the fires. Last Saturday. Ryan went down with his scouts to help clean up as best they could. Jared begged to go. After being down there for five hours I thought that Jared would be ready to come home. When I called Ryan he said Jared had not been felling well due to the smoke and debris. I headed down. What I saw was sickening. It made me so grateful for our safety and I developed such sympathy for those who had lost so much. This family lost all their pictures. Breaks my heart. When I came to get Jared he was upset. He did not want to go. My friend later told me that Jared came up to them and said, "I am so glad I am here." It was such a neat moment for me as a mom. To see that he felt so good because he was able to do something.

We past houses and cars that were burnt like. The starnge part was seeing trees that were only burnt on the bottom. I guess the wind blew the fire around so quickly that it didn't have a chance to burn everything. What a blessing. I talked with the kids school teacher yesterday and she said she could see fire out her back window and they had 5 minutes to get out. Luckily the winds changed and her development was saved.

Jared wanted me to take a picture of this bucket. The family owned a vending machine company and often kept the quarters. Ryan told me the amount kept going up as to how much there really was. Jared believed it was over $5000. Jared collected a lot of quarters for them. Most of them had been melted but you could still tell what they were.

No comments: