Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Prayer and Parenting

I am not sure why some of those links didn't work. It was only the links to children's place.

I was reminded today of an experience we had a few weeks ago while in California. I didn't write about it sooner because it was to tender but now I am afraid if I don;t get it down I won't remember it at all.

Sarah has a really hard time with life when she:
  • A. Doesn't get enough sleep
  • B. Doesn't eat right and
  • C. Doesn't get enough parent time.
Well vacation leads to all of these and by the end she is usually a very hard person to handle. We were getting ready for church and something set her off. I don't even remember what. She started to scream and yell kick and thrash around like a mad women. Ryan took the other kids down stairs while I "handled" the situation. I had been praying for guidance with how to handle her when she gets like this. I stayed very calm. I told her she had to sit in the corner until she could calm herself down and then her timeout would start. Once she made the decision we had a quiet ten minutes or so. Then I talked to her.
I felt like Heavenly Father was feeding the words to her through me. I asked her if she should apologize and she did. The I suggested that there was some one else that she needed to apologize to as well. She agreed and we knelt in prayer. She started to get a little up set a gain and asked if I would say the prayer for her. I explained that seeking forgiveness needs to be done by us and it needs to be between us and our Father. She need started to get more upset. I could hear the holy ghost whisper to me, "She is upset because she feels bad". This amazing love for my dear girl enveloped me as I realized this.
Then I began to think of the times when she acts up and it is when she feels the worst and doesn't know how, in her 6 year old mind, to reconcile those feelings. Things made so much sense to me. I asked her if she wanted to read scriptures with me before she said her prayers and she agreed. I just opened up with no spot in mind to read. I proceeded to read and it talked about forgiveness and our Saviors love for us. I was so touched I started to cry and so did she. She wept openly and I felt like our spirits were communicating spirit to spirit. She then said the most touching prayer I have ever heard and I felt hope and an amazing amount of love for her. I held her for along time and just expressed to her how much her Savior, Heavenly Father, and I love her. I felt like Heavenly Father has an important role for her in this life and my job as her mom is to help her reach that potential. I know that Heavenly Father knows we are capable of so much if only we will put our trust in him and move forward.

1 comment:

Shannon Bieger said...

What a precious experience. I think McKenna will be very much like Sarah. And I know that it's because McKenna is so much like me. When you know you're wrong, you want to make amends, but you feel bad and it's hard to be vulnerable enough to pray and ask for forgiveness. But how wonderful you are to listen to the Holy Spirit and to be a vessel of love for her, to guide her to that place where she could receive God's forgiveness on her own. What an experience for you, for her, for your relationship. Thanks for sharing such a precious moment.