Friday, January 16, 2009

Jacob Hyrum

He's HERE! He was born Jan 15th, weighed 8lbs 3 ounces, and was 20 3/4 inches long.

I have posted a bunch of pictures from yesterday for those interested in just pictures. What follows is my birth story so if you want to you can either read it or simply skip down to the cuteness of Jacob.

I was scheduled to be induced originally on the 15th. My Dr thought that the baby would be big since I measured big the whole pregnancy. Planning the induction date also made it so that my sister could get her plan ticket ahead of time and be here to help out.

At my 38 week appointment I was in a lot of hip pain and general discomfort so the doc told me she would induce on the 13th at 8 in the morning. I didn't tell anyone cause I wanted to have this little surprise, my way of pretending I wasn't being induced. Our dear friend "auntie" Delma offered to come over while we were at the hospital. She arrived at 7 in the morning and we were on our way. I was starting to feel a little nervous about labor as we walked into labor and delivery.
My anticipation was quickly turned to disappointment when the head nurse had no record of me on the schedule. I insisted I should be there but she flatly denied my presumption. So I asked her how I should proceed and she rudely said she didn't know and I should just talk to my doctor as though I had made some mistake by showing up!
As we walked to the car I wasn't sure if I should be angry or cry! I sent Ryan into my doctor's office to 'handle' it. The doctor's nurse said that the hospital had called her the day before to say they didn't have room and she had called my old cell number and left a message but didn't hear back so assumed everything was fine. She said she'd get me on the schedule for the next day at 8am again. By the time Ryan got back I was good with it. I had accepted it and decided to enjoy the day. I realized I had one more day before the after pains of birth would be here, so I played with the kids, went out to lunch with my family and just had a great time.
So, Wednesday morning at 6am my cell phone rang. It was L&D and they were letting me know that there was no room in the inn. I laughed. They said to call back at 10am and they'd have more information for me, but that I would be coming in, but they just were not sure when.
At 10 I called and they said they were still full, don't call us, we'll call you... So, I took their advice and called at 2:11! But before then I decided that I wouldn't just sit around. I grabbed my computer and headed over to my SIL Hope's house and hung out with her and worked on some scrap book pages. On my way home I called (2pm-ish).
The nurse at L&D told me that there were two ladies that were 'possibly' in labor and she'd call me back between 3 and 4 to let me know the status. So, at 4, since I hadn't heard from them, I called in again and she let me know they had room but couldn't get a hold of my doctor to find out how they should move forward. So I patiently went to work and called my doctor and she wasn't available. So a few minutes later the hospital called me back and told me it was time to come in. I was shocked. I had accepted that it was probably going to be the next day.
So, we picked up some food and went to the hospital. As we walked up to the hospital Ryan said he had thought that Jacob wouldn't be born on the 13th yesterday when we went in the first time. I had thought that he would be born on the 15th. Even when I had scheduled with the doctor for the 13th I wondered if we shouldn't have kept it at the 15th. Funny how that works!
So, we got to the hospital about 5:45, filled out paper work and got settled into our room. Room number 511. How funny. I just realized that our room number backwards is 115 or 1/15...Jacob's birthday! Anyway, the nurse checked me at 6:30 and I was dilated to 1 1/2 and 20% effaced. As this did not seem like very much I wondered if it would be a long night.

The pitocin was started at 7 and contractions became regular quickly. By 7:30 they were 3-4 minutes apart and gaining in intensity. They never got horribly bad though. This hospital believes that you should get the epidural when you feel like you need it unless your dr states otherwise. So about 9 I let her know I couldn't laugh through them any more and so it seemed like a good time. In the past I am in a lot more pain before they will let me have the epidural and it seems like I am waiting for a long time for the anesthesiologist to get there. He walked in the room within 5 minutes, had me fill out paper work, set things up, and by 9:15 the needle was in.

Again I thought how surreal things felt because it was all going so easily. Here I am in labor just relaxing cause things really went so smooth and easy.

My Dr came in just as the anesthesiologist was leaving. She is single and it was funny to me to watch her act flirtatious with him. I laughed inside. She checked me and at 9:30 I was 2-3 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Yeah. Things were progressing. She decided to brake my water. Ryan and I relaxed and watched some tv. I was excited to get to watch American Idol. I love that show. I was so tired and was drifting in and out of sleep.
At 11 they checked me again and I was told not much had changed. I decided to go to sleep since I had no idea how long of a night it would be. At 12:30 I woke up to pressure. I debated if I should call the nurse. It seemed to soon to be anything real. I was glad I decided to because when she checked me she laughed and said, "oh baby's right there" I woke up Ryan and my Dr was called. They preped the room and me. After a few pushes out came this beautiful little guy. He let out one little cry instantly and they placed him right on my chest.
What a wonderful sound his cry was! At this hospital they let him stay with me for over an hour before they weighed and measured him. They cleaned him while I held him. It really was the best! He nursed right away and he is just such a sweet content baby. He didn't cry when they changed his diaper, bathed him, or when they gave him a poke with the needle. He doesn't even cry when he wants to nurse. He just roots until I feed him.

Weighing in at 8lbs 3 ounces
Sweet Jacob fingers.
Being born takes a lot out of a little guy.
Proud Papa
"1,2,3,4...My Turn!"
Joshua is so excited to be a big brother. He gets so excited every time he sees Jacob. He calls him 'baby' and loves to hold him. In fact, he cries when he doesn't get a second turn!

Check out that hair!Imagine the fun these three will have together!

Joseph is so loving. He says, "I'm going to wash my hands so I can pet the baby!"
Grandma Chapman & Sarah enjoying Jacob. I don't have a picture of Emma & Jared holding the baby yet. They were so excited to hold Jacob they beat the camera getting out.
The nurses and doctor seemed to respect our 'expertise' in the birth since this was our sixth. They seemed to be less pushy than past doctors and nurses. In fact they were so confident in us that we were in and out in less than 24 hours. Jacob was just 13 hours old when we came home!

We just feel so blessed to have this little boy in our home! After five children it's still a wonder and miracle. He has a unique little look and personality at day one!

11 comments:

Ora said...

He's absolutely perfect Susan! It's frustrating when they keep putting it off, but I am glad he is here safe and sound. Jacob is about the same size as Chase (8 lb 4oz) and we were induced at 39 wks - for the same reason you were... Glad they didn't let Jacob cook too much longer, he would have been a big kid ;) I can't believe you have 6 now... when I baby sat for you - you only had 2! Try to get some rest and give that sweet little baby a snuggle for me.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I've seen a more perfect baby! He's gorgeous! You look amazing too. It's hard to believe Madeline was that size. They sure grow fast. We're so happy for you, Ryan and the kids. What fun it's going to be for the little ones to watch him grow. Love you all and miss you tons. I'm tearing up thinking about NOT meeting him NOW!!!! We are for sure planning on Thanksgiving in Vegas. Hope to see you all then.

Mary ann

Anonymous said...

Home in 13 hours? WOW! I don't think Madeline even had her first bottle in 13 hours! He's beautiful! Love ya

Ricki said...

You DO NOT look like you just had a baby! You look so calm and collected! He is another beautiful Chapman baby, but aren't all of us Chapman babies beautiful?!!! :) I am glad he has such a calm disposition-he will need to be calm and patient being a 6th child! Heavenly Father sure knows what he is doing with birth order. Congrats!

Michelle said...

Congratulations! He is adorable. It must be fun to bring a little baby home to all your wonderful children. Congrats to all of you! We miss you and hope to be able to see you when we come home to visit.

Unknown said...

Congrats, Susan! What a gorgeous momma you are, and what a sweet family you have. Great job on a smooth delivery, and all the best during this special time with a newborn!

Arn and Jody said...

Cant wait to get home, wash our hands and pet the baby. How fun Joseph is to say that. The kids all look so cute and happy to have Jacob to love. How happy we are to have all of you to love -- two more grandchildren than when we left -- how very blessed we are!

Love,
Very proud Grandma and Grandpa

Julie Winder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Winder said...

Congrats Chapman family. He is so beautiful. I love the photos of you and baby Susan.

Toshia said...

Congratulations! What a coincidence that Jacob and Jonathan were born the same weight. Have fun with your new little one:)

Karen said...

Congratulations to you and your family! He is beautiful!!!