Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Whats for dinner?

I just got done reading my SIL Sarah's blog post about dinner. It got me thinking about how much I really do enjoy dinner time, most of the time.

I will start this post off with a disclaimer. Some nights while I try to cook Jacob screams and cries and won't be comforted by anyone but me. Like last night. He was having a very hard time and wanted Hugz from me. AKA he wanted me to hold him. I was stirring over the stove top and had to be careful how I held him. He was still screaming. If I put him down he cried harder. Some nights are hard like this.

With that out of the way I want to document why I love to cook for my family. I read an article from Power of Mom's a couple weeks ago that talked about why we have our children work alongside of us. It is not just to get the house clean, it is to build relationships with them. That rung so true to me as I thought about our evening routine.

I usually start in the kitchen while the kids are finishing up homework and the little ones are playing. Before long someone always joins me and asks to help. It is interesting to me that they seem to take turns and usually everyone is not all in the kitchen at once. Sometimes they are but it is not the norm.

Discussions then pursue. We will talk about their friends or the mean kids. Basketball or choir. Things they love and things they hate. Maybe because we are not being formal they are more lose with their tongues. I have learned more about my children in the kitchen then other place in my house. Even when there is nothing for them to do they will still hang out and talk with me.

Really this is what I love about being a mom. I get to be the one person they tell everything to (for a few more years at least) I love being so much a part of their lives.

Cooking dinner leads into eating it and family discussion can be just as enjoyable. Sometimes arguments do ensue but for the most part I really enjoy sitting around the table together. Kids will tell the funniest stories and I feel like this time is also good for their relationship as siblings

I did not always feel this way and I remember dreading the dinner time hour. I think having older children to enjoy it with has helped and also realizing my baby won't be little forever helps too. While he was crying yesterday I just kept thinking about the fact that I will never have a 2 year old again and some how that made the crying seem lovable.

2 comments:

Lissy said...

You are such a good mom! I always remember the time I opened up to my mom was the drive home after school. Gotta snatch up those opportunities when they come. Thinking my baby won't be this small forever definitely helps with the patience! Gotta keep reminding myself of that! :)

Sarah Chapman said...

Thanks for your advice! I'm on it!