Sunday, April 10, 2011

How Ryan and I meet

When I was getting ready to go to college I had decided to simply go to the local community college in Irvine. Why? My grades were not the best and I didn't think I would get accepted anywhere. I had enrolled and was ready to accept that path.

Near the beginning of summer my mom and I drove up to Utah to visit with my extended family who lives there. On the way home we drove through Southern Utah and from the freeway we saw signs for Dixie college. My mom and I both felt like we should stop and take a look at the college. It was not something I was planning or expecting but it was such a strong feeling. As we looked around we got ourselves to the admin building and grabbed all the paperwork I needed to enroll.

I felt at such peace about the whole thing and I was excited to start this new journey. My mom had all of the same feelings so I just new this was right for me. But on the drive home fear began to creep in. I was so afraid my dad would not think it was a good idea. This school was going to cost much more since I was from out of state. But my dad being the wonderful man he is also felt like it would be a good thing for me.

Once I got to school I was scared and I was shy. I did not have amazing relationships with my roommates but they were nice. I decided to tryout for the institute choir which was such a great experience for me. It was their that I meant Rachelle. She was a life changing friend for me. She helped me to understand my worth as a daughter of God. She helped me to be stronger then I was and I will always thank her for that.

I feel like she is what I needed to prepare myself to meet Ryan. We had so much fun that year. I dated some nice guys but nobody amazing. I enjoyed great friendships. I loved it so much I decided to stay in St. George during the summer. I got a fun job teaching swim lessons to little kids. Before summer I had dated a return missionary. I liked him and brought him home to meet my parents. At one point we casually looked at wedding rings.

When I got back from my trip we broke up. It was one of the weirdest yet neat break ups I had ever had. We both just felt like we should break up. There really wasn't a reason except dating him no longer felt right. (In hind sight I am sure glad I did not marry this man) This was in May and I started dating Ryan in August. Had I stayed in that relationship I would not have been available for Ryan.

I am not sure when but some time during the summer Ryan moved into our ward and became our apartments home teacher. I did not notice him at this time. He had taught in our home but I didn't remember him. I had my eyes on the institute president. I don't remember his name I just remember I thought he was good looking. Circumstances brought us together and I found out that he was a rather dull person with whom I could not talk to. I think it was the next Sunday Ryan called on my during his class in church. I wondered how he knew my name???

The next day my friend Danae was talking about this cute tall boy from our ward named Ryan. I had no idea who she was talking. She suggested we go to his smoothie shop so I could see who she was talking about. From the moment I saw him I was filled with butterflies and I didn't even say a word to him. I hung back and felt very timid.

That night we had our ward FHE activity. We pulled taffy. I remember trying to be close to him. We started to talk and I remember being intrigued that he tried to make a liahona out of taffy. I was not versed in scriptures and I was embarrassed when I did not know what a liahona was until he reminded me. I learned from this that he knew the scriptures and knew them well.

Sometime this week he invited my dorm room to go swimming at his pool. I made my best friend Lisa come with me. Ryan and I flirted and laughed and got to know each other a little bit better. We even raced in the pool and I got a bad leg cramp. He massaged it and this later became a joke amongst his brothers.

Throughout this week I made reasons to see Ryan. I remember one day going to get a smoothie. Another day I went to the nail place next to his shop hoping I would see him. I chickened out and didn't go in to see him. I was sick one day and had him come over for a blessing, (he was my home teacher.) Finally I got all my friends together for a get together just so I could invite him along with out asking him on a date.

We got along rather well and I just felt really comfortable with him. Even when a guy friend of mine kept trying to get my attention even though I was noticeably very interested in Ryan. My friend Becca, who was engaged, invited Ryan and I along for a double date the next night. Um yes please! Ryan took me home that night and he walked me to my door. He gave me a wonderful and sweet hug. He pulled back and I got butterflies in my stomach. I didn't know if he was going to kiss me but I was pretty sure I wanted him to. He said to me instead, "Be patient with me, I'm slow." We said goodbye. I walked into my apartment, shut the door and sunk to the floor. I was on cloud nine.

He made me feel special. So the next night, Saturday, we headed out to some hot springs to meet our friends. We had a good talk and just had fun swimming together. Our friends never showed up and we decided to go back to his apartment and watch a movie I think it was Tommy Boy. It was stupid but we laughed. Then we sat there not saying anything. I was just enjoying the moment and enjoying being with him. I finally asked him what he was thinking and he answer, "That I want to kiss you." Which he then did.

Sparks flew and I felt wonderful with him. Later that night we were talking and his brothers came in. I remember he quickly jumped away from me and that made his brothers think we were making out. That was a hard one to live down. I enjoyed the banter of younger brothers since I was not used to this.

Then came the hardest day. On Sunday Ryan avoided me. He did not talk to me and he did not return my phone calls. If this had been any other boy I would not have been worried. I remember calling Rachelle and telling her how worried I was because with Ryan things just felt different. It kind of scared me to feel so much for this man I hardly even knew.

The next day at ward FHE he was there but did not talk to me. It was so weird. I finally told him I wanted to talk and we went with some friends to frozen yogurt. He was a little stand-offish but still held my hand under the table. I believe we drove to his house after this. He explained to me that he got really scared after we connected so quickly. We had such an amazing talk that night.

As we hugged goodbye we pulled back and just stared into each others eyes. I knew at that moment that this is the man I would spend the rest of forever with. I just knew. It was such a strong overpowering feeling and it hit me all of a sudden like a ton of bricks. I started to cry and then Ryan said, "It's amazing how you can just now." So with nothing more then that we both new we were now much more then the moment we were living.

I guess we kind of looked at each other like we were engaged at this point. I had never even told him I loved him yet I knew I did. It was like my spirit and his remembered each other and promises we made before this earth life. We saw each other basically every day since.

The coming Saturday my cousin was getting married in Utah and my family was going to be there. My Mom, Dad, and sister drove up to St. George and we drove up to the wedding together. Ryan and I in one car and them in another. We picked out a ring together from a family friend of his. Once we got the ring he knelt down right there and proposed. There was some band playing outside the store so when I said yes he didn't hear me.

Once we got back to my parents he asked my dads permission and of course he said yes. So one week from our official first date we were engaged. We were originally thinking of getting married in the middle of December but we kept moving the date because my roommate was getting married and I didn't want to get married on the same day. Our bishop had advised to never push the date back only push it forward. I would change the date then she would change the date. Finally after pushing the date to 2 and 1/2 months away I realized we couldn't push it any closer. (she ended up getting married on the same day as us anyway)

I had no idea who the man I was marrying really was. Had I known I would have done things even quicker. He has proven to be the most amazing man I have ever meet. He loves me so fully and completely. He is spiritual beyond what I could have imagined. He is strong and smart and determined. He expects greatness and I love that about him. I am a better person because he is by my side.

I do not think everyone should marry this quickly but for us it was perfect.

1 comment:

k d L said...

i love this story. totally have tears in my eyes. amazing how you really can just know.