Sunday, April 10, 2011

General conference

I have always wanted to go to our churches general conference which is held semi annually in Salt Lake City. Our Prophet and other apostles speak to the members of our church and we usually view it on TV or the Internet. Even from a young age I can remember being in awe that we could hear from our prophet.

I have wanted to take our whole family to see conference once they are all over the age of 8. But then I realized that is still 6 years away and Jared will almost be ready to leave on his mission. Sarah had the same desire to go. Every conference she would ask me when we could go so when my sister told me she had two extra tickets we jumped on the occasion.

Laura, Calvin, Sarah and I took a quick trip up driving all day Friday and we stayed with my Uncle Bruce and Aunt Carol. They really are amazing people and it was such a pleasure to visit with them. We woke up early Saturday and Sarah's excitement was infectious.

From the moment we walked into the conference center the Spirit of God filled my heart. There was something so amazing about being in a room with so many people who are all there to be filled with the word of God. We were all united in our faith and our desire to be better people.

As we waited for it to began we watched the apostles come in at different times and greet each other. They were all so loving and warm and tender to one another. The would hug or shake hands or even nudge each other in a loving fashion. When the prophet walked into this huge conference center, seating 21,000 people, everyone stood up in respect of the sweet wonderful man.

What a beautiful way to start the meeting. Oh yeah, before this the Mormon tabernacle choir was practicing and hearing them in person was so amazing. A spiritual experience indeed.

Being at this meeting was like God was speaking straight to me. The personal messages for me were said to my very bones. I have been struggling with the desire to change but not knowing how to for some time and I feel like I know have the power to be more of what my Father in Heaven wants of me.

Sarah also had an amazing experience and watching her take pages of notes was touching. During the middle of the conference we all sang together, I Know That My Redeemer Lives. To have that many people bare testimony in song all together was something difficult to put into words. Tears streamed down my face. I wonder if this is what it feels like to sing with the angels on high. Something I will not soon forget.

Another added bonus was getting to talk with my mom's brother and wife about my mom's side of the family. I gained a lot of understanding about my family. Then on the drive home we stopped in Las Vegas and talked more with my parents about my family history. I learned more about the people who came before. I got a glimpse into why I am the way I am. I wanted so much more then I was given which made me want to write down some of my own history so that my children and grandchildren can maybe have some of the answers I wish I had.

No comments: