Sunday, April 24, 2011

Vegan chocolate goodness

I found vegan chocolate chips at our local grocery store. I have been on a mission to find treats Joseph can have that taste really good so that he doesn't feel like he is missing out.

Cake pops. Seriously one of the yummiest things I have ever made. SO simple and so moist. I am not a huge cake fan but this is so yum.
Recipe:
cake mix
oil
egg whites
frosting that matches your cake mix flavor
sticks that you can get at Micheals
chocolate chips

Certain brands sell non dairy cake mixes (you just have to search the ingredients for them)
I have used lemon, chocolate, and german chocolate, and red velvet.

I make the cake mix according to package directions except I use 4 egg whites instead of 3 eggs (I can't eat egg yolks)

I then pour it into a glass baking dish and cook in the microwave for 10-12 minutes at 70% power. Why you ask in the microwave? So much faster. Usually their is one hot spot and I simply don't use that part in the mix.

I then stick the good parts (if some of it is slightly gooey no worries) into my kitchen aid and crumble it up.

Then I add about half a container of frosting. again I read labels and use nondairy frosting. I used lemon with the lemon cake, chocolate with the red velvet but cream cheese would be good if you could eat it, I have also mixed peanut butter with chocolate frosting for a yummy peanut butter one, and my favorite is the coconut caramel frosting used for german chocolate cake.

Once the mixture sticks to its self you have the right consistence. If you try to roll it into a ball and it doesn't stick or keep its shape add a little more frosting.

Roll out the mixture into balls and then stick them into the freezer for a quick cool.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time on 50% power. Stir after each 30 secs until melted.

Dip your stick into the chocolate then into the ball. Make sure you push it all the way down. Then stick it back into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.

Now that your cake will stay on the stick remelt your chocolate the same way you did before. Then dip your cake ball into the mixture and tap off any extra.

Sprinkle with sprinkles or drizzle with peanut butter or chocolate. This is the fun part. Be creative. I stuck them into a rectangle styrofoam piece I got at the craft store to dry so that they would still look good.

Here is another treat I made.
Vegan Peanut butter cups. But I made them for Joseph for Easter so I used Easter molds. They were molds I got with my jello to be used as jello jigglers which made them perfect for what I was doing
Recipe:
Vegan chocolate
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used creamy)
1/4 cup crushed up pecans
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil


  1. Melt chocolate in microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir after each 30 seconds until melted.
  2. Spray molds with non stick spray. With small paint brush, coat inside top cup evenly with about 1 teaspoon melted chocolate to about 1/8-inch thickness, bringing coating almost to top of mold, but not over edge. freeze cups.
  3. In saucepan combine coconut oil and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until melted only a couple of minutes. Stir in powdered sugar and pecans. Pour filling into each chocolate cup. return to freezer for about 10 minutes.
  4. Spoon melted chocolate on top of filling (you may need to remelt the chocolate); spread to cover. Freeze until firm (about 2 hours) carefully peel off from molds. Store refrigerated.
I am eating one know and oh so good!! I miss those yummy resses peanut butter cups and this is such a great vegan alternative.

I am not rereading my post so I hope it all makes sense

No comments: