Sunday, September 17, 2006

Making cakes is fun to do.

This week has been just crazy. I took my class Tuesday night. Wednesday Orchids had her bridal shower. She is so cute and I truly am anxious to get to know her better. She seems very smitten with Tory and it is so cute to watch young love. Then Thursday I spent all day baking cakes. We also picked out the flowers for the top of the cake and I think it will be so pretty. Friday we started out trying to do the last little bit of school work then we were off to the Dr's. Joshua and I both have thrush. If you have never had that it is not something to be desired. It makes me feel sick to my stomach when I nurse so I can only imagine how bad Joshua must feel. And if that wasn't enough to call my life an adventure Joseph has bronchitis again. I think we caught it soon enough that it won't turn into anything major. Then on Saturday we cleaned up the house then headed back to MIL's to frost the cakes. They did not turn out as good as my practice cake but I am hoping that once we get the ribbon, beads, and flowers on, it won't be that noticeable. It is my first cake.

I was looking at pictures of wedding cakes and I realized how unperfect a lot of them were. I guess that is to be expected. Well, not by me. I am going to practice until I get it down to a T. I think I have found a new passion in cake making. I found all of these pictures and I am determined to make a sample of each of these at some point in the future. When I found out how much wedding cakes cost, $600 for the one I am making tomorrow, I figured I better learn how to do this well because we are going to have a lot of weddings to do in the future.
What I will learn to do...

This swag looks like satin yet it is made out of fondant. It looks like it has dust mixed in with the fondant. I want to try to make that.

These next few are so neat looking. I love the vines and the flowers. I will learn to do something like that.


I wonder how they get that bow to stand up like that?
I am going to figure that out too.


And here is a mad hater cake. I saw this done once on the food network and I have always want to make one.
I think the shape of the cakes is so neat. And I love the idea of having a chocolate wedding cake. Wouldn't this be so pretty if instead of pink it had gold like the next one?
Just another pretty idea for a wedding cake.
And then my favorite. I bet this took a long time to make but
I think the technique is fairly simple.

No comments: