Friday, September 21, 2007

My kids are the funniest!

When I had Jared I had no idea what to do with a new little baby that demanded my attention all the time. I remember feeling so bored and I had no idea how to spend my time! Funny to think about now that I was ever bored. I would think, "I can't wait until he can really talk to me." Then when he got older and could talk so young he would entertain me.
But today I realized that we have really entered the funnest age yet. We sit down to lunch and have this conversation,
"OK. Mom, if you had been eating only beans from the ground, roots from a tree for your water, sand crabs (other funny things I don't remember) and it was all really gross, then you could eat whatever you wanted, what would you eat?"

I thought for a minute and answered to quickly and non serious for his liking, "Chips and Salsa"

Jared says very seriously,"You could eat ANYTHING and you would eat chips and salsa????"

Now its time for business. I pause, waiting a sufficient time, and reply, "Do I have to cook it myself?"

"No, now what would you eat?"

"Really good fish fajitas"

Then he says as he points his finger at me in a Dwight (from The Office) way, "But your a vegetarian."

I say, "Yeah, I am a vegetarian."

"But one who doesn't eat fish!"

How did I not just crack up at this point? I have no idea. Just writing this I laugh out loud.

I asked what he would eat and what followed is so funny for a 9 year old boy.

"Lobster, octopus, clams, etc...."

I wanted to say,"But your a vegetarian, the kind that does not eat fish!" But I was a good mom and I held my tongue while smiling really big inside.

Earlier in the day the kids and I were doing math facts on the trampoline. I sat on the tramp while they each took turns reciting math facts. After each child was done they would get the next and Joseph and I would jump. Once they all returned to their work Joseph and I stayed out there. I lay down and he told me I had to cover my eyes. Then he ran around me and in a sing-song voice said, "Batman, Batman don't come alive. Batman, Batman now your alive. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3." At this point I was expected to keep my eyes closed and come after him. When I came in I asked the kids were he learned that game. They said it was dead man not batman. All the funnier.
I love the way kids hear things. Emma is the best. She loves to sing but never gets the words right. Her latest is Bop to the Top from the Highschool Musical. She was singing it in the car and saying, "LllOp, llop, lllop, blop to the top." We love our Emma.

Update on Joshua and the spray bottle, its a no go. He laughed today when we tried it. So anyone out there have a good suggestion on how to stop a 15 month old from screaming so loud the neighbors can hear?

Sarah said to me today, "Do you think all families are as happy as we are?" It was good to hear that she thought that since I had been very grumpy last week. A lady at Target today said,"You must have your hands full?" To which Sarah replied to me, "Isn't it funny how EVERYONE says that to us?" I guess we spoiled it for her that she was not to original. I told Sarah that I did not think I had my hands full and she agreed.

This is one of the joys of being a big family. I wish people could see this when I was at the store and they say,"You must have your hands full?" No, in fact I feel extremely blessed to overflowing with such wonderful kids who teach me on a daily basis what life is really about! To love, be loved, and laugh often.

4 comments:

Shannon Bieger said...

"You must have your hands full."

The comeback to that: "Not as full as my heart."

LOL about "Batman"!!! That is the cutest!!

Megan said...

Oh Shannon's response is the absolute best! You've got to file that away and use it next time. You're a great mom.

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

I love it! And will smile as I say that very soon!

Julie Winder said...

love love your last comment on here Susan! You are amazing. You are very creative and know how to make even the learning times fun! You have such smart cute kids too!