Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fire info.

For the latest map click below
Fire Map

The fires are so very near our house but not so near that we have to leave. The air is filled with smoke and the ground has ash all over it. This picture is from our driveway. Since we don't have cable I didn't even realize their were major fires until Monday. You could smell it on Sunday but I didn't know what that was about. Three of Ryan's siblings, Kyle and Amy, Hope and Travis, and Sean and Allie, were evacuated from there homes. Sean and Allie's home was miraculously saved. The fires came all around there house but did not burn it. They are right by the wild animal park with nothing around them. What a blessing. I was most worried about them. Hope has returned to her house tonight but has to stay on watch. One of Ryan's brothers friend and family stayed at their house and fought off the fire. There house was the only on remaining.

We have thought a lot about what we would take with us. The computer, (it has all my pictures), important docs, and my boxes of photo albums. If I had more time I would take all my clothes, dirty or clean and that is about it. Everything else is unimportant.

This is all so crazy. We have not lived in So Cal when the fires were bad. We could smell it in the air Utah but never saw it so up close before. I remember when I was young and there were fires in Irvine. My Dad drove us to see the fires coming up over the mountain. I remember being so entranced at the sight.
Ryan took this picture tonight. The red glow has been hovering over us. Very eerie.

I find it so amazing that in times of trials like this people step up. In our church they were asking if anyone had room in their home for evacuees. I didn't get the message right away but as soon as I did I let them know we had a room we could spare. The awesome part was that so many people stepped up they didn't need it anymore. Then I got word that they needed people to help serve food at the church. Again as soon as I replied enough people had already stepped up. I told the lady in charge that I could help in any way when the need arose. They have moved evacuees and now the National Guard is using the building for R & R. When I got the email that they needed snacks for the men I jumped on it. So... instead of making dinner tonight I made several dozen pumpkin spice cookies and bought a bunch of individual bags of chips. Thats what I could do to help. It is a small thing but I was so glad I could do something. An added blessing, these cookies smell so good when they are cooking. The recipe is so simple, my sister gave it to me. one package of spice cake mix, one small can of pumpkin , and a bag of chocolate chips. Cook for 12 minutes at 350. And you have instant pumpkin spice smell in your whole house! Everyone I have talked to has said how crazy their children have been. I think it is being shut up in the house, feeling parents nervousness or apprehension, and then most kids are of school

3 comments:

Shannon Bieger said...

That picture with the red glow is so spooky! I'm glad your family's homes have been spared! I'll continue to pray for a banner of safety over them!

Ricki said...

I am so glad you put this post up, I was worried about you guys. It is very scary, and I am so glad you are not TOO close to the fire!

Joel and Kristie said...

I'm praying for you and your extended family that all will be safe and spared from disaster!