Saturday, October 20, 2007

We got to go to Sea World today. We needed some good family time and it was so perfect. We got there in time for the last dolphin show of the day. The kids and I have seen this show a handful of times so they know exactly how it goes. There is a child and her dad and pretend mom who really is part of the show. The mom falls in and swims with the dolphins and the audience gasps until they realize she is surfing on the backs of the dolphins. Emma is my biggest fan of the dolphins and whales. She has said she wants to be a trainer some day. Whenever we go see this show I think of how nice it would be for her to be picked but we have never gone with Ryan. So on the way to the show I realize this and start to rush over to the show in hopes that Emma can be picked. We sat down and shortly after a man comes up to Emma and asks if she wants to pet a dolphin. Um.. Yeah! The kids all new what was coming and they were so excited for her. "Look there's her friend mom" Sorry about the shaking. I was holding Joshua and he kept grabbing the camera. I wish I had a better shot.



Here is the cute family with new mom Heather.

It was a real bonding experience for Ryan and Emma.
She said the dolphin felt rubbery and Ryan said the whale felt smooth. It was neat to watch Emma have this experience. She said this was the best Sea World trip ever. What a sweet little girl she is. Sometimes I worry that she gets lost in the busyness of a large family. She doesn't demand attention like some of the other kids. I have a make a very conscious effort to give her the love I feel for her.

We didn't stay to long so we were all still in great modes. We decided to go to Islands for dinner. It was one of those laugh or cry moments. The waiter was having a bad night or something. First off as he is putting or drinks down Joshua grabs Ryan's water and manages to get it all over my seat and feet and partly on my lap. Ok, we all laughed. Then Jared gets distracted and knocks his soda ... all over my feet. Really? Still we laugh and try to stay light. A couple comes and sits close by our booth then asks to move because Joshua is in one of his screaming modes because he is over hungry and getting tired. Then two different couple sit close by us, get their food, and are done before our food comes. We are trying so hard to entertain Joshua so as to avoid the screaming. I think we entertained ourselves more. We put salt on his hand and a little bit of water and laughed as he tried to pick it up with the other hand. Then when he got tired of that we moved to sugar. I was tempted to try the ketchup but thought twice about that one. Our food comes right when we are considering leaving because it is really taking that long. But what is this... Where is my food? Yeah it is not ready yet... but I am not super bugged yet because at least the kids are eating and Joshua is no longer screaming. Ryan is done with his food when they bring out my salad. Oh wait that is not what I ordered. With my food aversions I can''t eat meat or cheese. I had asked for the cheese on the side and on the menu it said you have to ask for chicken if you want it so I am not so sure why my salad has chicken. Now I am bugged, trying not to be, but I am. I look at him and while he is saying he is sorry it took him so long I am asking him to take it back because it is not what I asked for. The guy felt really bad and he could tell that was the final straw for me. So he returns with the salad I ordered in record time and I was so icy cold to him (I see now the error of my ways) He comes back to say sorry again and ask if we are doing OK and I must have said something like "Um yeah" In a nice sarcastic tone. I am not usually grumpy like this. He took the salad of our bill and gave the kids all sundaes. At this point I feel really bad for being a jerk, (I don't think I was really a jerk but the thoughts in my head were jerky) I tell him it was fine and we appreciated the sundaes. My kids were happy I got free food and we made it out of there in one piece. The little kids feel asleep right away and we enjoyed the ending of a great day.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Oh man the first time I watched that dolphin show I told Ian to turn the girls away from the show because I didn't want them to be watching in case anything bad happened! I felt like such a dork after. :)

Oh man how frustrating about the restaurant!! Sometimes I feel bad for being upset in moments like that because I have bad days too...but sometimes I get frustrated anyway. Oh well, I'm sure the waiter was glad you didn't ask to speak to the manager or anything.

Shannon Bieger said...

Oh my gosh, how cool that Emma and Ryan got to do that! What a neat experience for them. You're such a good Mom to try to get there early enough in hopes of giving Emma the opportunity.

Your dinner experience sounds all too familiar. Not knowing whether to laugh or cry....LOL that is so true. It's like a comedy of errors.

Michelle S. said...

We had so much fun tonight with your family! Since Tanner and Emma are best friends, we need to get together much more often. I feel like it will take us years to catch up on each others lives. I look forward to it!

Ricki said...

Wow!! I love how even little things with kids can turn into a big ordeal! I can't believe people moved away from you because of Joshua's screaming, you should have just followed them! Okay, that was mean, But I sometimes wonder why people that are affected by little kids even go out! I say, stay home if you are easily distracted by others!

I love that Emma got to be the "family" for the dolphin show. My kids would freak out if they ever got that opportunity! How fun!