Monday, October 01, 2007

What a great day. I woke up early and had every intention of going running. As I was walked towards the door to leave I felt like I should stay. Not knowing why I went to my study chair and started of with a prayer and some wonderful studying. I was blessed to be given this small book called Quiet Moments by Patricia Holland. It touched my soul so deeply and I remember how much I love to study the word of God early in the morning before the house has risen. Their are seasons in my life where I am better at taking time to read and study scripture and times when I have not been so good. I notice that when I take that time, even if I don't feel like I have it, my day goes smoother and I have an inner peace that lasts.

(I must make a side note at this point. I am not perfect. I make mistakes. I get mad at my kids and husband. My house gets messy and sometimes I don't feel like getting out of bed. But I do keep going and I do keep trying.) I make that side note because I realize I only include the good in this blog. That is why I write it. It forces me to take time to notice how blessed I am. To look for cute things my kids say and do that I may more fully love them. To notice the wonderfulness of my husband that I may more fully love him. To look at the every day miracles in my life and show gratitude to my Father above for them.

Back from my randomness... Because I started my day so great everything has gone so smoothly. I had my meeting with the kids teacher and I am such a proud mom! So if you do not want to hear my bragging skip this paragraph, but especially for my parents I include the following info. The kids took a test called MAPS. It compares them with kids in the area and is meant to let me know their strengths and weaknesses. Jared, in the 4th grade, tested above middle fifth grade in Math and Language Usage (grammar, spelling, writing) and 7th grade in reading. Sarah in 2nd grade, tested 4th grade in Math, 6th grade for Reading and middle 6th grade for Language Usage. She is considered a gifted 3rd grader. This is why I home school. I want to help them in the areas that God has blessed them that they may be all that God has in store for them. The teacher was also impressed with Emma. She kept saying, "What kindergartener knows that?" Emma was nervous before her meeting. She said, "What if I don't remember anything?"

A few funny things my kids say.
At church yesterday we Joseph and I were walking the halls with the baby. behind a curtain we heard a man talking. Joseph looked at me with surprise and said, "who buddy?"
With a laugh I said "what?"
Again "Who buddy is that?"
Then I got it, somebody, anybody, nobody, and whobody. Makes sense to me.

When Emma is reading new words she likes to put them in a sentence. So the other day she read out. Then with a big smile and in a sassy tone says, "Rock the show out!" Where do they come up with these things?

I almost forgot to mention.... the best news of all.... We finally got rid of our "kitty" It really is a guinea pig but it has long hair and looks like a cat. It had to live in the garage because their was no where else to put her and I felt very guilty leaving her out their. My SIL Hope wanted it for her son so I happily passed it along. Emma was sad but loves that she went to family so that we may still go visit.

And here are some pictures I took over the weekend. We have the funnest park near the kids school with great photo op's.


I loved this one of Jared.
When you gotta go you gotta go.

Jared being 9Sarah posed herself for this one
She looks so grown up.
The only decent picture I could get of him. He was all over the place.
How do I ever say no to this face?

One last thing. For family night tonight we talked about Uncle Kent, death, and the resurrection. Emma was especially sad as this is the first time death has been a reality to her. As we talked about Uncle Kent and how we should be happy for him since he is now free of pain and free from the bonds his body kept him in, he was a paraplegic with limited use of his head and one arm. Emma sat in my lap and cried. She said she missed him. Sarah turned to Emma and with tears in her eyes said,"Emma, in church I learned about the second coming and when Jesus comes again those people who died will come with him." She wanted to assure Emma that we would see Uncle Kent again. Emma realized Aunt Chris must also be feeling lonely so we should pray for her to not be so lonely. Emma said the prayer as Sarah rubbed her leg. I am grateful my children feel close with each other that they can love freely. And that they can teach me how to comfort those in need.

3 comments:

Megan said...

What a beautiful post!! So much to say!

Joshua is such a big boy! I love his styled hair, so cute. And wow what a stud Jared is. :)

I'm so proud of you and your kids with the MAPS test! Way to go! I wish I was more motivated and confident in my abilities to teach. And more patient.

I also love beautiful Emma's hair.

Hmm what else? I just love you! I'm so glad you blog so we can keep in touch. I feel like I know you more now than I did before you moved. You have such a sweet nature and humble attitude. You teach me a lot and help me want to be a better mom and daughter of God. Thanks Susan. :)

Julie Winder said...

Susan, what an inspiring post. That is awesome your kids tested so well. I am not a bit surprised. They are so bright and you have taught them so well! I love your photos. It is so nice to be able to stay in touch with your family. I am so excited, we are headed your way this weekend. We decided to take a last minute trip to the beach. Yea, I get to get Beach Photos!

Ricki said...

You amaze me with your spirital insights. Just when I start to think when do I have time to study, I look at your Blog and realize I have WAY more time than you do. I have one less kid, and my kids aren't homeschooled! I should have at least a couple of hours a day! But then again, I guess it is what we do with our free time that shows who we are, and right now I am spending my time looking at Blogs! Bad Ricki!