Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Happy Early Birthday Joseph.

Because life is just going to get busier and crazier over the next few weeks I decided to take Joseph to Disneyland today. This is the kids one day at school so it was just me and the two boys. Originally I was going to invite very one with me but it was a very spur of the moment decision. After the day was over I was glad it was just us because he had my full attention and had any one else been there I would have wanted to visit. It was a great day. When he woke up this morning I told him I had a secret for him. Then I asked him if he wanted to celebrate his birthday at Disneyland with just Joshua and I. He smiled his simple sweet smile And told me to tell Joshua the story. Once we got the kids off to school we got ready and were off.

I told him he was in charge and we would do whatever he wanted. Because we had never been to toon town we started there. We went on Roger Rabbit, he is not a fan. After spending maybe 20 minutes ther I remebered why we never come here. So off to fantasy land. He had a hard time deciding what to do first. First he wanted to go on the horse, then dumbo, then the shark(storybook ride) He settled on the storybook ride but right as we were about to get on he sees the Casey Jr and wants to forget the boat and run over there. It some convincing but we did ride the boat first. Then Dumbo, train, Pinocchio, and the carousel. He does not like Pinocchio. I wanted him to see the Bear in the Big Blue house. While the boys ate their lunchables I walked over that way. Side note for anyone with children under the age of ten going to disneyland..... bring your own snacks. But here is the trick I have found that has saved me money, time, and fighting children... Put each childs snacks in a freezer storage bag with there name on it. That way it is always "fair" and you when you are standing in lines they can grab there bag and munch away. Well feed children are happy children.

When we walked into California High school Musical 2 was being presented so we watched that. Joseph is very outgoing in his own home when no one is watching. yes I understand that doesn't make sense. He wanted to get out there and dance he is just so shy. All day if anyone would ask him to say something he would wait until he was sure no one was listening and then he would mumble it under his breath. Like in the jedi training when they were asking the kids to shout something he would wait and then look at me and in a hardly audible whisper would say it. What a cute kid. He is going to be the guy in high school that all the girls like but he won't have the nerve to ask anyone out.

We got there early and so headed over to bugs world. Rode the catapillar and the ladybugs. I personally found the ladybug ride to be my favorite of the day simply because the boys both laughed hysterically while it would spin. Both boys liked the bear show. I think Joshua liked it best because he was finally able to get out of the stroller and get all of his wiggles out. There is not much for little ones in California so back to Disneyland for us. From this point on Joseph talked about winnie the pooh for the rest of the day. It was like he wasn't sure if he wanted to go but he thought he probably did. He kept reminding me that it has a scary part in it. If anyone knows what he is talking about please let me know because I don't recall a scary part.

We walked through Tarzans tree house then went on Pirates. He wanted to go on pirates. He says he likes it because the pirates are silly. He closes his eyes and holds his hands over his ears for one part but I think for the most of it he seems to enjoy. During the ride Joshua's head kept falling forward like an old man falling asleep (I think you know who you are) I then picked him up and he stayed asleep through the band. I was surprised Joseph let me listen. He seemed to get into... well as much as his shy self could. and he stayed asleep through the haunted mansion, Joseph does not like this ride either.

As we start to get in line for winnie the boy he decides that yes, it will be to scary and not worth his time. After caring a sleeping heavy baby I am starting to feel ready to go but I don't want to push him, it is his day. (another side note... Every once in awhile he would remind me in a very nice soft voice that he was in charge. I think that was a big deal for him because he is child #4 and he probably doesn't really get to be in charge very often.) I asked him if he wanted to go on the train and then go home or more rides and he was quick to say go home.

We had such a full day. Got there about 10:30 and left about 6:30. No melt downs and no lines. Our longest wait was for the storybook ride. Maybe 10 min. This is the best time of year to go.

I really do love people watching so it was nice to push the stroller and just watch the relationship dynamics of people. I think my favorite of the day was this guy about my age. We were in line to watch The Bear show. He, his wife, and two children felt like the needed really good seats I think. They were standing in the line blocking anyone from going past. If you have not been to the show before they have you stand in a line that is rather wide and I think you are meant to squish in so that people can sit on the beanchs lingin the front part of the line. Then the doors open and you find a spot on the ground to sit and watch the show. It was a mellow day and not a ton of people in line. He was about 4-5 people ahead of us but the way the line was he was right next to us. This lady comes up and trys to get past him and he just stares at her. She is so mad and says, "I'm trying to get my son!" Him,"There is a line here." Her, "my son!" He points to this spot in line where she could have reached over peoples heads to maybe possibly get her run away child. He does finally let her by and she was flaming mad. Ok? I am trying to hold back my laughter when up walks this pregnant lady. Yeah right she was getting through. So I have to watch to see what he is going to do now. Again he stares then tells her, "Theres a line here" She looked like she was going to have her baby any minute. She says, "I just wanted to sit down." Yeah he just stares at her. I felt bad for the guy. I wondered what happened to him as a child that made him feel as though he needed to be the line enforcer. We end up sitting next to him during the show and he was laughing and singing along. I guys being in lines just brings out the worst in him. He stood there like a drill Sargent. Good stuff these people offer me.

The other thing I loved about the day was all the good parenting advice I got. (Sarcasm here) I think people just assumed I was a new mom with my two little boys. Usually I would just smile but with one lady I couldn't help myself. I had to play with her a little. She was telling me how she remembered when her 2 kids were little like mine and she remembers taking them to disneyland by herself and then always wondering why she did that. I just said back, "I have 5 children and with my 1st two I might have stressed out like that but with them, (implying the boys,) I just really enjoy them and we have a lot of fun." She then goes on to tell me, "My neighbor had 5 kids and she would ask me, 'do you always feel crazy?' and I would have to tell her no she fells that way because she had 5 children." Did the lady not her what I said a second ago- that I enjoy my children. I respond,"I guess haveing 5 children isn't for everyone." I said something about handling myself well with 5. She then tells me, "When they grow up it will be nice. My husband is the oldest of 5 kids and his mom always has someone to help her." Me," My husband is the oldest of 13 and it is great having such a big family." I did have a little bit of an arrogant tone at this point because I was just annoyed. It is always funny to me that people think the life they have chosen for themselves is what everyone else should do. I love my life, it works for me. But I don't think it would work for everyone and I ma not about to be judgmental on someone for only having two kids so I guess that is why I let it bug me sometimes. Wow that was a long tangent. Sorry about that.

I will add pictures tomorrow. I need to down load them.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oh I loved this post - especially the story of the line enforcer and the woman who was quite arrogant herself. Glad you had a fun day and I'm even happier that Joseph got some special attention on his special day. I think I'll follow your lead and do something special for Mckenna's birthday this year. I feel like sometimes she gets lost in the mix.

Ricki said...

What a fun day. You are so lucky to live close enough to make Disneyland a "day" trip! I am jealous! I love that you play with people that feel the need to give you advice on ALL of your children! I seem to be very annoyed and sometimes mean to people that stare or seem to feel a need to make a comment! I will have to try your approach.

Julie Winder said...

what an amazing mom you are to spend time with him and to such a fun place. I can so relate to funny and sometimes rude comments. I get lots of comments about having all girls. one on one time is the best. It seems like all there little annoying issues disappear when they get that time they need. you really get to enjoy them. How fun for you. I bet he loved every minute of it.