Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I don't like to be a bragging mom but....

...sometimes it just has to be said. This last few months have seemed crazy and home school has seemed even crazier. Today was our last official day. We met with the kids teacher and it felt so good to hand everything over to her. We are going to have a bonfire with the rest of the papers! I also got there testing scores for the end of the year. This test is the nation wide test they do at the beginning and end of each school year.
Emma is to young to test but Marina let me know she is above level and reading really well.

Sarah, ending 2nd grade, scored 216 in math which puts her 25 points above average and at the middle of 5th grade level. For reading she scored 216 which is 28 points above average and at the end of 6th grade beginning of 7th grade level with a level of reading comprehension between middle of 7th and middle of 9th grade. For language usage she scored a 223, that's 32 points above average and at a beginning 9th grade level.

Jared, ending 4th grade, scored 229 in math, which puts him 19 points above average, and end of 7th grade level. For reading he scored 227 and that puts him 22 points above average with a level of reading comprehension between end of 9th and middle of 11th. For language usage he scored 222 and that is 15 points above average and at an end of 8th grade beginning of 9th grade level.

Would I love to take credit for their smartness, yes. But I really can't. These kids are so much smarter then I ever was. I believe they came from heaven that way. We have encouraged them. I read a book when Jared was little that explained if you focus your efforts on teaching your children to read and read well then schooling will be easy. I have tried to do that and it seems like it has really helped to encourage what they already had within them. Jared and Sarah love to read and Emma loves to look at books. She is starting to ask me how to spell everything and any time she sees a sign she spells it out and asks me what it says. Lots of times she can sound it out. It is so fun to watch them learn. With that said, I think they might go to public school next year. Just because I am not sure I will be a good mommy trying to home school with a newborn. Besides, I think it will be nice to have more time with the little ones.

And just when you thought my bragging was all done.... Jared one his champion baseball game tonight. They did awesome. Not bad for his first season. They won against their division last week and then played against the north division tonight. We were ranked 4th before the playoffs so I am shocked we won against the 1st place time of the other division which had never been beaten.

Yeah, today was a good day. I welcome the summer with open arms, bring it on!

5 comments:

Candy said...

I really believe that if you read and love readin gyourself that will put your kids way ahead of the game. Good job mom and kids you all deserve some yummy treat to celebrate. I wish I was there to take you all out!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!
We're so impressed with your efforts ans successes.
Smart kids?
YOU BET!!!
Every one of you.

Ricki said...

You do too have something to do with how smart they are! You are so good at working with them all the time and continuously teaching them! They are soooo stinking smart! Good for them, it will make the teenage years a lot more manageable when they already know most of the stuff they learn there! My older kids are so worried about their friends, that I think there brains have actually turned off to learning!

Anonymous said...

So fun, don't you love those good mommy days? They should come more often. Enjoy your summer.

Julie Winder said...

You are an AWESOME mom and it is no surprise your cute kids do so well. You do have such a passion for learning and so do your kids! how can't believe how grown up they are getting.