Tuesday, January 26, 2010

All about me

It feels a little selfish to write that. I have been doing really well so far in my training for my marathon. In fact on Saturday I ran farther then I have ever ran and faster then I have ever run (long distance that is) I am still not fast but I am not really going for that. My goal is to simply finish. To finish with my head held high and a smile on my face. Whenever I run a longer run I imagine it is my last few miles in the race. How will I feel? And every time I can't help but smile. I have always wanted to be able to run for miles. To have miles of time to just think and step away from the world. And on Saturday I felt like a real runner. 7 miles all to myself. I was even doing hills with a happy heart. It was huge for me. I ran to Emma's gym where she was playing bball and I just felt such pride. I have been amazed at how quickly my body has adapted to the longer runs and impressed with the training book I have been using. I was thinking, "If I had never started this program where would I be now? Still only running a couple miles and feeling stuck in my desire to be a runner but not taking action." I want to remember this when I feel overwhelmed by something new I want to accomplish. A little action every day leads to great accomplishment.
Along with this I have also been learning so much about my camera and I have been venturing into the manual zone of my camera much more frequently. I am starting to see some wonderful results and I don't need to edit my pictures like I did before. I am loving how warm indoor pictures can be without the flash on the right settings. I have taken a lot of horrible pictures but I can usually, eventually, get what I am going for. With time, just like training for the long runs, I am sure I will be able to get what I want on the first try. If I never try I can never succeed.

My favorite right now is playing with my 50mm lens on manual. I don't know the right terms for things but I love the way it makes the background so blurry and the subject so clear.

My kids are always wanting to be my model or asking me to take pictures of their things. I have the best kids.

4 comments:

Julie Winder said...

Susan! I loved reading your post. It is so good to write down all your feelings as you train. Those will be the memories too you will cherish. I am so proud of you. 7 miles is a huge accomplishment. You will do awesome. Can't wait to hear all about your first marathon. Which marathon are you training for? Wow, so many exciting things going on in your life. Enjoy it all!

Bliss & Gary said...

Your comments about running are such an inspiration to me. Please keep posting them, I really want/need to hear more!

Ricki said...

Can you send some of your motivation my way! I am lazy right now, and don't even have a desire to run let alone train for something!!! I am sure you are feeling so good! You should be proud of yourself and you should not feel shame for having to write something about yourself!! We all need something that is just about us, so that we can keep our identities, not just be moms!! You are getting really good with your camera! I love the "blur" too! It is so fun when you get a lens where your apature can be so low and you can get that great blurry in the background look! Keep up the great work on both your hobbies, you are doing fantastic!!!

Karen said...

It is really sad that when we take time to write about ourselves that we worry about being a little selfish. I try to put it in this perspective......how much would you love to read about an ancestors likes, dislikes, dreams, hobbies, goals, worries, joys..... When you frame it that way, it is rather self-less to have those things written by you, not to mention, I really like to read them.

I love you photography talent. One day when I own a real camera, you will have to teach me a few of these things.

My husband and oldest daughter have recently started running. They are loving it.