Sunday, January 03, 2010

I am offically starting tomorrow!

I think I feel slightly excited to start my training. For the last month I have been re-getting comfortable with running 3 miles. It now is rather simple and comfortable. So what does that mean? Time to switch it up. I bought a great marathon training book with help and advice for each week of training. And tomorrow I start the 16 week program that will end with the Ogden Marathon. Why in the world would I want to do this? Ever since high school I have wanted to be a runner. I would watch the cross country team train with ease and just want to be one of them. I Ran the 1 mile race in the 6Th grade Jr Olympics and about died. I think I just believed that I was not a runner.

Then when I married into Ryan's family I was shocked and impressed that my MIL could run for miles. After weight gain came from children I decided to try to wind sprints. Walk a little run a little. At first I walked a lot more then I ran. After each child I seemed to be able to do a little more then before. After Joseph was born I finally jumped in with both feet and decided I needed a bigger goal. I wanted to do a triathlon. Before this time I had never run 20 minutes straight. When I came to finish line of that race I felt more accomplished then I could remember feeling. I set out to do something I felt was so hard and yet I achieved it. I remember riding my bike up this steep hard hill during the race and smiling at people because I could now say I was a triathlete.

When ever I look back on that experience I feel pride and humility. With the help of my Savior I was able to do something I never thought I could. I guess that is how I feel about this marathon. It is finally my time become a marathoner. To take the time for myself and become more then I currently am. To push myself to higher levels and help my mind realize I truly can accomplish anything, with My Heavenly Fathers help, that I decide to accomplish. I know it is not for everyone but I am thrilled to embark upon this journey!
Here am I saying bring it! This is my year to accomplish the big goals!

As a little pre-training Jared and I have been running together for this 5k around Balboa Park on New Years eve. IT was hilly and challenging and great. Jared ran ahead with my MIL and I just enjoyed my nice slow pace. It felt great to start the new year in such a way. I kept imagining it was the last three miles of the 26.2 miles I am going to run.

1 comment:

Lissy said...

Wow, that is cool. I've never liked running but always wished I did. What a great picture - you are so beautiful!