Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Feb 20th

We got into Germany at 6 in the morning - our time was 9 at night. We had to walk through security again because our new flight was in a different part of the airport. After taking off everything, belt, jacket, purse, and backpack I walk through and still the alarm beeps. This may not sound like a big deal but as we were in line I watched a lady get beeped. I watched as she jumped because they put their hands down her pants. At least I was prepared. I am laughing inside thinking, “This can’t be real. I am getting frisked by a stranger.” My B r a has wire in it which made her wand beep when she waved it over there. So she feels the need to feel ALL around it to make sure there are no weapons concealed. She also felt the need to stick her hand down the front of my pants even though the wand gave the all clear. So the joke the rest of the day was that I made good friends with the lady at the security guard. How’d you like that for a job? No thanks! What do you say when someone asks you what you do for a living. You humble reply, “Oh not much. I simply stick my hand down people’s pants and up their b r a for the safety of my country.”
After a good laugh again at my expense we found out where we were supposed to be and then tried walking around and looking at the shops. We realized we were so tired that shopping was not so fun so we sat down and waited. I felt like I could fall asleep standing up but I was afraid that if we fell asleep we would miss our flight to France. When they called for boarding there was no plane there. As it turns out we had to take a tram to our plane because it was so tiny. It was an almost full flight with about 20 people. Being in such a small plane kind of freaked me out but we survived.
This is when I was first introduced to my new love…. The baguette. They served us sandwiches on the plane. I had to take everything off mine except the lettuce but it was so yummy.
I was able to take another cat nap but not enough. Once we got into France we walked right in and got our bags and they let us walk right past customs.
We gave big hugs and it was so good to see my parents. It is so nice to be able to visit with my parents as though no time has past and with no time limits. They live in a cute little apartment that for Bordeaux standards is big. The kitchen comes with no cabinets or stove or fridge, just a sink. You have to furnish the rest. And it is so very small. The cars are also very small, even the mini-vans.
When we got here to help keep us awake we walked around the stores and enjoyed looking at all the different foods. They love their cheeses here and the grocery store had three or more aisles for cheese and two aisles for yogurt.
After lunch we walked around my parent’s house and looked in the mom and papa shops. There is an amazing old church minutes walking distance and I got yelled at when I tried to take pictures inside. I do love to watch the cute people here. The old couples walk arm in arm. So much love.

No comments: