Monday, January 23, 2006

Accentuate the positive


On Friday I met with the principal at the kids school. I was feeling frustrated that Sarah's teacher was doing nothing to help her advance. If your child is behind they have special programs but if your child is advanced the do nothing. I wondered if this was just her teacher or the whole school. As the principal talked to me I realized that it is a school thing. Basically, he told me that if I want her to continue to excel I should keep doing whatever I am doing at home with her. He said in kindergarten they are just introducing the basics and if a child already knows that then they will be all the more advanced. He doesn't believe children should be advanced a grade and I do think I would prefer her not to move up anyway. I contemplated it but I thought about her being age 16 or so when all of her peers are 17. She will be forced to grow up to quickly. I think growing up is hard enough, she doesn't need to add any other factors into the mix.

What did I learn? I came to grips with the fact that I have to work with her more at home until we move and then either home school or get her into a better school system. She loves to learn and asks me to teach her more. She wants to be great at math like Jared is. I want her to continue to love learning. The other advantage to her staying where she's at is that she can feel like she is really excelling because she is so far ahead of the other kids in her class.

After the conversation with the principal I was able to let go of my frustration and except my roll as her primary teacher.

I think I have learned this week that life is learning to except what we are given and then find the best in that situation. Things could always be better and if we focus on that we will always be disappointed. On the flip side, things could always be worse. I am going to choose this week to think on that and recognize how blessed I am. I am going to find the good in my life and focus on that. I can only imagine that as I do this I will find greater happiness in anything I need to do.

4 comments:

Shannon Bieger said...

I think you're really very discerning about Sarah's education AND her social needs. You're so right, you are her primary teacher and it's important for you to help her hang on to that love of learning. And when she gets to about 3rd or 4th grade, most school systems have programs implemented for advanced students. G.A.T.E. starts in the 3rd grade doesn't it?

Shannon Bieger said...

Ok so I'm seeing this picture of you and I'm wondering if it's an old one? Because I find it hard to believe that the cashier at the store actually thought you were farther along then 4 months. You look fantastic and I would even guess 3 months if I had to guess! So I don't know what she was thinking!

(LOL I apparently had two windows open for the same comment page.)

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

It depends on the day and what I am wearing. Some days I look bigger then others. The day I took the picture was a good day.

The Gilles Family said...

Hi! I'm Shannon's cousin! From a teacher's perspective, I think the fact that you're so proactive about your child's education is a breath of fresh air. Keep the pressure on the schools and the teachers! It IS making a difference!