Sunday, January 08, 2006

My not so little, little boy.

I am dedicating this blog to my oldest son Jared. He got his picture taken in primary for his baptismal picture. Wait, what? That means he is going to be 8 this coming year. I don't think I am fully ready to be the mom of a n 8 year old.

The age 7 has brought so many new things. My little man is growing up before my eyes. There are times he does things that are very grown up. Like take care of his little brother. Today he got Joseph from nursery and got Emma from her church class. When I found them they were walking towards my class holding hands. HE likes to get Joseph out of bed in the morning and they will play in their room for awhile. They have a special bond. He also likes to play mediator with his sisters. Not always in the most gracious way, but he tries. He will recount stories to me and explain the moral or point with great clarity, he understands right from wrong and will tell me about things the kids do at school and how he recognizes how silly or wrong they are being. He manages to handle his problems with grace. A few weeks ago a boy was picking on him and he didn't fight back or act meanly towards this boy. We talked about it and he said we should pray for the boy. As it turns out this little boy watched his mom die last Christmas season. So we were very understanding of why he might be having a rough time. As an adult that would be hard for me to handle. Jared tries to help his siblings do what they should, not always with grace. He doesn't require the same kind of disciplining or reprimanding that the other children do. He mostly knows what he is supposed to do and he does it. I had to take a privilege away from him a few weeks ago and I realized how long it had been since I had to really discipline him.

Now on the flip side, age seven has brought some not so pleasant changes. He no longer sees the need to shower, and if he does shower, why wash your hair or body? Right? And change clothes or wear PJ's, that just takes to much time out of what he really wants to do. And did I forget to mention the biggest one of all, he really truly has learned the art of teasing. He has master what makes his sister tick and how to get under their skin with out me seeing. This is one thing I have never fully understood. Why do all children feel the need to tease each other. I remember my brothers doing it to me and I watch my nephews and Ryan's family. They all do it, just with their own style. He loves to leave his backpack and shoes every where and any where but where they should be. I told him if he did it again I was going to through his stuff away. Well, he did and I hid his stuff. I think I shook him up pretty good and hopefully he won't do that anymore. I had an idea tonight. If it happens again I will take away his stuff and charge him 25 cents to get them back. Maybe then we won't have to worry about it.

The point of all this you wonder? Basically to say that I love watching them grow up. I love the different stages and there are always things you are glad they leave behind. My mom said that to me once, "Every stage brings wonderful new adventures and traits you never miss." It helps me to not be so sad when I realize they have grown out of a stage I love. Jared seems not to need me so much and wants much more to do with his dad. They have spent much more time together and it is good. But I do miss my little baby needing me. He still likes to talk with me and tell me everything that is going on in his world but I can see him searching for dad's approval so much more.

My other point to all this is to give mom's a glimpse forward. I remember when Emma was born. I felt so overwhelmed with three little people, (Jared just turning three,) needing so much from me. I wondered at my own abilities. At that age you truly are everything to them. You provide for every want and need. It is a blessing but sometimes it feels as though life will always be just a little challenging. Then they grow up a little and you miss that. You miss being able to just kiss the sadness away. Enjoy the tantrums, laugh at them. Realize this is not who they are it is just them trying to figure out this confusing world. Snuggle them while they let you.

Ok, enough of that. I sound like I am sending one of my children off to college. I guess what stemmed all of this was an e-mail I got form my Aunt Carol. She was telling me about her children growing up and I asked her if it was hard to see them get married and her reply was, "When my children were little it never occurred to me that they weren't actually mine! You hear the old saying that they are just lent to you, but you don't really comprehend it during that stage in your life." These precious ones are Heavenly Fathers children first. And then ours. Hard to remember that sometimes.

I get very sentimental when I am expecting a new little one.

Here is my little man.

And just a few other pictures.


Aren't we the cutest? When I cut my bangs I had several people tell me how much we look alike. She looks like pictures of me at that age. I love it!

The next set of pictures are of the new guest room. Emma and Sarah wanted to sleep with each other so often that I thought we would try having them share a room again. So with about $20 I changed Emma's room into a quest room. I made all the pillows and put in different pictures in the frames. Changed the ribbon hanging on the wall and changed the accessories on the shelf. We had all pink in there But I didn't have a pink king bedspread. Thus the few changes.
Both of these dolls were presents from each Grandma.
The shells on the shelf were a gift from a couple we know who just got back from a mission to Africa. She brought those shells from the shores there. How thoughtful!

We did put in box springs and a frame. We had to clean out our storage room to get to it first. Another New Years resolution started.
You can't really tell but the pictures have the cutest scrapbook paper that matches the ribbon. They also have flowers in them.

1 comment:

Shannon Bieger said...

Awww. That made me all teary-eyed. I will probably go back and read this entry many times!

The guest room looks beautiful! I love the frames with the ribbons between them!