Sunday, January 01, 2006

New years funness

A few weeks ago Ryan and I had no children party. Way fun for us but the kids were sad and felt left out. Since the party was at our house they could hear the fun they were missing. So Ryan and I came up with a plan. We decided to tell the kids we were going to have a New Years Eve party but that it was just for our friends. I had them help me pick out snacks and drinks. They helped pick up the house and I let them assume that when the party started they would have to hang out in my room. Jared was feeling upset because I had told him we would learn how to play his new Star Wars Risk game he got for Christmas. With party prep we ran out of time.

As the kids were in Emma's room playing Ryan went out to the front door and rang the bell. I told the kids to get it for me. As they ran out and saw that it was Ryan I could tell they were confused. I explained that the party was for my friends so they better all hurry in so we could get started. They were so excited.

We ate h'orderves then played a round of go fish then a Dora card game while we waited for dinner to finish cooking. We then took a small break to wait for Joseph to go to bed so we could begin our 2 hour game of stratego. I have to say I loath that game. Only a man would invent a game were winning means you completely wipe out your enemy. I have yet to have a good experience with it. I have decided it will be saved for special father and son time. It is way to long and some what mean. I hid my feelings well and everyone had a great time. Sarah was on my team and I convinced her that winning does not matter it is just about being together as a family. (That is coming from a slightly competitive person.;) With that we ended on a good note.

Then I felt the need to eat to much... That would be my family tradition... I think that is our family tradition for every holiday though. But that is all I remember about New Years Eve. My Dad loved making all kinds of goodies and we would stay up watching TV. My Dad was always happy and it was a happy night in our family. So I always want to reinact that fun but I can't really remember why we thought it was fun.

I stayed up till about 11:30 watching What Not to Wear the best of 2005. I love that show. Then We had to put Emma back to bed. She had woken up about 11 with her coughing. She has croup. It is a horrible sounding cough and very scary. I took her and Joseph in to the Drs on Friday. Jospeh though has a different strain of coughing. He has bronchitis. Seriously, I think We have had enough sickness in our house. Maybe the next few weeks will bring better luck.

Pictures will be arriving soon. I should be getting my camera in the mail in a few days.

4 comments:

Shannon Bieger said...

I just finished reading your pregnancy journal. You have so many sweet pics in there!! You need to start digi-scrapping because those pics were definitely scrap worthy!

What in the world is Jicama Sprite? And do you normally eat shrimp tacos and soy riblets and cream cheese with chili sauce? And then the very next week, just ice water? LOL! I was laughing at how you wanted tomato soup and then the thought made you sick. Then you said "It must be hard to live with me." ROFL! Good thing Ryan is such a great guy huh?

Oh Susan...I didn't know you had to see your lifeless baby on ultrasound last time. = ( That is so heartbreaking.

I love the names you're considering. They're all beautiful. Eden is my favorite.

Your New Years party sounds so fun! I think that's the mark of an exceptional Mom - one who tries to make life full of surprises and special moments. It's those little efforts that kids remember the most I think.

I'll be praying that Emma and Joseph's coughs diminish. Really, I'll be praying for a banner of health over your household.

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

Ok, Jicama, I am sure I spelled it wrong, Is a vegtable. Hicama, maybe that's right.

The shrimp tacos, every now and again I would eat them and soy riblets ummm... no. Cream Cheese with chili sauce is a Chapman holiday tradition. I think I loved it so much because of the soy cream cheese. I normally can't eat creamy anything.

Thanks for the nice comments. Your not helping my humilty problem ;)

I just got back from taking Sarah to the dr's and gratefully she just has a bad cough. She doesn't even get to miss school.

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

What do you think of Eden Arabella?

Shannon Bieger said...

I love it!! It's so pretty and feminine. And Eden is just the right amount of unique (not odd, but not overused).